Sunday, April 3, 2011

Refusing to Be Comforted

As I was reading Psalm 77, I realized that perhaps one of the reasons we find such comfort in the Psalms is because the Psalmists spoke so boldly the feelings that we sometimes find difficult to acknowledge or express ourselves. When troubles come our way, do we really seek the Lord? We may pray, but are we honest enough to admit, as David did in verse 2, that we refuse to be comforted? 


We see David wavering between remembering how God had helped him before (and given him a "song in the night") ... and doubting that He would help him again.  He gives in to feelings of despair: unable to sleep, feeling overwhelmed, complainiing (vv. 3+4); and by verses 7-9, he has begun to doubt God's mercy and promises. 


Finally, in verse 10, he realizes that it is not God who has changed: it is he: "This is MY infirmity..." !!


Once he realizes that the problem is with himself, and his attitudes; he is able to put his focus back on God, the Problem-solver, and not on his problems. When I find myself refusing to be comforted, may this Psalm come to my mind and help me to focus on the One Who can solve my problems, and not on the problems!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment